Y4300 - 2010 Fall Term,
Monday: 2:30 - 5:15pm in 3MC13S
Voice Mail: 786-9180
Required Text: no text, weekly readings distributed from website
Article Archive: paultrapnell.com/4300/upload/index.php
Sample Minor Presenter Questions: paultrapnell.com/4300/questions.docx
Sample Major Presentation paultrapnell.com/4300/presentation.ppt
General Course Description:
In this Honours seminar course, we will examine selected topics in personality research, theory, and assessment that reflect some of the important historic and current preoccupations in Personality Psychology.
Examples of Topics Covered:*
History of modern personality theory and research
Psychoanalytic Approaches to Personality
A Five-Factor Theory of Personality
Personality and Sexuality
Psychobiological Approaches to Personality
Personality Continuity and Change
Positive and Negative Affectivity
Personality and Unconcsious Processes
Psychobiography and the Life Story
Personality & Health
(*number of topics covered determined by class size)
Course grades will be based on the following 5 criteria, out of a possible 400 points:
1. a term paper worth 100
pts. (12 p. 3000 words min.; 15 p. 3750
max.; 15 references min.
2. one major powerpoint
presentation worth 100 pts. (1 hour minimum; 1¼ hr. max.;
3. two minor presentations
worth 50 pts. each (composed of 6-8 unique
discussion question/answer sets,
4. class participation worth 50 pts (quality of input stressed over quantity), and
5. attendance worth 50 pts (absolutely free!).
Topics for the term paper, major presentation and minor presentations will be discussed and distributed in the first meeting. Selection of topics will be made on a first-come-first-served basis, so try to make up your mind soon, while choices are still available. Student presentations will begin on the third week. THE ABSOLUTE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING TERM PAPERS IS THE LAST DAY OF CLASSES, Monday, Nov. 30th. If you submit your final paper by Halloween, you will receive written feedback. Early drafts okay too, but feedback less detailed.
Numerical cut-off points for letter grades:
A+ 364-400 B+ 311-329 C+ 260-279 D 200-219
A 340-363 B 280-310 C 220-259 F <200
Notes: 1. The above cut-offs are unofficial and may be changed in either direction.
2. The final date for voluntary withdrawals without penalty from a half course is Friday, Oct 30th.
3. Students are directed to read the general calendar sections on academic misconduct and appeals.
Criteria for Major Presentation:
I. Preparation (15%)
· choice of research materials (avoid video clips & questionnaires)
· familiarity with material
· comprehensiveness of materials
II. Quality of Presentation Aids (20%)
· readability of powerpoint slides & handouts
· integration of materials with presentation
III. Quality of Presentation (65%)
· topic coverage
· memorization (at least partial--don't read your slides verbatim to us)
· topic organization
· topic mastery (practice makes perfect)
· creativity (go ahead, project your personality)
· clarity of speech
· pacing of presentation
· points deducted if length of presentation < 1 hour or > 1¼